Reconnect Earth seeks a motivated intern to assist with logistics and curriculum delivery on up to four backpacking trips for college-age students in the North Cascades this summer. This position is ideal for a candidate who enjoys working in the field and has a strong interest in environmental education. In addition to gaining valuable work experience and spending time in some of the most beautiful places in the Pacific Northwest this summer, you will receive a $599 stipend and up to $400 toward covering the cost of Wilderness First Aid training. Meals on trips are provided.
About Reconnect Earth: Reconnect Earth works for a socially and ecologically just future by fostering and growing a network of empowered young leaders to sustain grassroots social movements for years to come. We seek to challenge dominant narratives in environmental education (EE), and to create a new EE paradigm that is inclusive, multicultural, and action-oriented. We see social justice and strategic political action as key to our goal of protecting the environment.
Required skills and qualifications. The successful candidate will be:
- Dependable, self-motivated, and well-organized.
- Have a strong interest in environmental and social justice issues.
- Have an interest in environmental education and/or backcountry leadership.
- Available to be in the field (backcountry) during these sets of trip dates: July 28th-August 3rd, August 18th-21st, and August 25th-28th. Preferably, you would also be available for our July 13th-21st trip, but this is more flexible.
- Have current Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder certification, or be able to get certified prior to the first trip (assistance paying for certification courses is available).
- Available for about 6 hours of training over the course of 1-2 days in May or June; this can be done virtually and there is a lot of flexibility as to specific dates.
- Must be eighteen or older.
To apply: Please email a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the internship to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the letter, please be sure to indicate your availability during the four sets of trip dates mentioned above.
Application deadline: We will begin reviewing applications on March 1st. Applications submitted by that date will receive priority.