Reconnect Earth seeks a motivated, skilled trip leader to help facilitate outdoor educational experiences for college-age students in a backcountry setting in Washington’s North Cascades in Summer 2022. This position includes the following duties:
- Assist with packing and preparation for one 9 day backpacking trip, August 2nd-10th.
- Work with a co-leader to implement a curriculum focused on environmental and social justice, natural history, and grassroots activism skills while in the field during the 9-day trip. The amount of time spent on curriculum work is subject to some adjustment based on applicant’s level of expertise and interests.
- Assist with camp logistics and backcountry risk management while in the field.
Compensation: $1,200. Meals are provided on the trip.
About Reconnect Earth: Reconnect Earth works for a socially and ecologically just future by fostering and growing a network of empowered young leaders to sustain grassroots social movements for years to come. We seek to challenge dominant narratives in environmental education (EE), and to create a new EE paradigm that is inclusive, multicultural, and action-oriented. Summer 2019 was our first season leading backpacking trips for students.
Because Reconnect Earth is still a new organization trying to change the way EE is done, the Backcountry Trip Leader will have the rare opportunity to be involved in shaping an organization that is in the process of doing something different and a bit radical. This is an ideal position for an educator with a strong interest in social justice and activism who wants to help change what mainstream environmental education looks like.
Required skills and qualifications. The successful candidate will be:
- Dependable, self-motivated, and well-organized.
- Have a strong interest in environmental and social justice issues.
- Enthusiastic about working with college-age students.
- Comfortable hiking for long periods and spending time outdoors in various types of summer weather.
- Wilderness First Responder (preferred) or Wilderness First Aid certified; or be able to get certified prior to August.
- Available to be in the field (backcountry) during these dates: August 2nd-10th.
- Available for about 4 hours of training in June or July (the exact date is flexible).
- Have a bachelor’s degree or higher in environmental education, environmental studies, social justice education or a related field; OR a proven track record of successful work in one of these fields.
Desired skills and qualifications. The following will make your application stronger:
- Experience teaching in formal or informal settings.
- Experience working on grassroots activist campaigns.
- Experience working with communities who are traditionally underrepresented in environmental education programs.
- Experience backpacking and spending multiple nights in the backcountry.
- A current drivers license and clean driving record.
To apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org
The position is open until filled, and we are reviewing applications on a rolling basis.